Monday 21 July 2008

New Old Age

It is an established fact that we are all getting older, and we are all very different from the old people that exist now. Sound ageist? Damned right, I am an individual the same as everyone else!

ha

But on a serious note, think of what our grandparents were doing when they were our age and compare that to what we do. I can see huge differences, my Parents were coming to terms with television, and now when you go into a nursing home (as I have to do from time to time) there are rows and rows of old people staring at the television, lost in thoughts drool dribbling down wrinkles in their faces.

Now what am I coming to terms with? Computer games, I am learning to play guitar hero with my son, and kingdom hearts 2 with my daughter, so when I am an infirm old fart in a nursing home will I be playing computer games? will the controls have developed to the point where I am connected like all those bodies in the Matrix movies? Will I live an eternal youth until I fade away and my hard drive stops?

I started thinking that this would be ironic and sad, now with a little reflection I am quite hopeful. I don't think that would be too bad, especially if it was interactive with others.

Bill Gates and his neophytes will save my future!

1 comment:

AbbotOfUnreason said...

I think it could go either way: we could be drooly old farts interacting on the internet or we could be drooly old farts watching you-tube. I kinda fear the latter.